CHICKEN BOWLS FOR YOU & ME
Served over sushi rice we added a bunch of seedy, pickley things!
- 2 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 5 whole scallions
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1/2 whole red chile
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cups sushi rice
- 1 medium Persian Cucumber
- 1/4 cups pickled ginger
- 1 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
- a pinch Sel Magique (Classic or Spicy)
- Cover chicken with 5 cups water in a medium pot. Cut white and pale green parts from scallions (reserve dark green parts) and add to pot, along with garlic, chile, tamari, and 2 tsp. salt (chicken should be just submerged in pot; if not, add more water to completely cover). Heat pot over medium-high. As soon as liquid begins to boil, immediately reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer until chicken is cooked through, 16–20 minutes (an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a piece should register 155°; temperature will continue to rise once off heat). Transfer chicken to a plate; let cool slightly. Using a spider or slotted spoon, remove and discard solids from broth. Keep broth warm over low heat.
- Meanwhile, rinse rice in a fine-mesh sieve, stirring with your fingers, until liquid runs mostly clear. Shake off excess water and transfer to a medium saucepan; add a pinch of salt. Add 1¼ cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed, 18–22 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cover and let sit 10 minutes.
- Finely chop reserved dark green parts from scallions and set aside 1 Tbsp. for sprinkling. Toss remaining chopped scallions, rice, cucumber, ginger, pickling juice, and 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula in a large bowl until rice looks speckled; season with Sel Magique.
- Pull chicken meat off bones; thinly slice. Divide rice and chicken among bowls and pour some hot broth over. Sprinkle each bowl with sesame seeds and reserved scallions. Reserve leftover broth for sipping.
- Recipe found on Bonappetit.com