MUSHROOM & SPINACH QUICHE
Healthy & vegetarian, this savory quiche is filled with wild mushrooms and savory Gruyère cheese. Perfect for breakfast or brunch. We use a premade pie crust here for ease, but feel free to make your own crust of course!
- 1 prepared 9 inch single pie crust
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbs butter, unsalted
- 1 shallot or small onion, minced
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Sel Magique Spicy Blend
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f
- Remove the prepared pie crust from the freezer and thaw until just soft, about 10 minutes, then prick the bottom all over with a fork, and press into a buttered deep pie form or ceramic baking dish.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until partially cooked.Once baked, remove it from the oven, set aside and turn the oven temperature down to 325°F.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a large skillet or pan on medium heat, warm the butter.
- Add the shallot and cook for 5-6 minutes until tender and slightly translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for an additional 5-6 minutes until mushrooms have roughly reduced in size by half and are golden brown.
- Add the spinach, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 1-2 minutes until all of the spinach is wilted. Stir to combine with the shallot and mushrooms and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg and Magique and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Once the pie shell is cooked, layer with the filling ingredients. Add half of the Gruyère cheese, top with spinach mushroom mixture, top with remaining cheese and then pour with the egg mixture over top.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes until the centre is set and the top is lightly golden.
- Once cooked, remove the quiche from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing, 5-10 minutes, serve and enjoy! We love serving this quiche with a simple green salad.
- This quiche can be served immediately, hot or cold, stored covered in the fridge for 3-4 days or tightly covered in the freezer for up to 3 months.