FRENCH ONION CHICKEN
Make this easy and very delicious 1-skillet French Onion Chicken recipe and wow your guests, family & friends (or maybe just yourself!). Tender, seared chicken breasts swimming in thick french onion sauce, topped with melted gruyere cheese, then broiled to a golden brown crusty top. Decadent? sure! but that's why we all love French Onion soup and here, made into a tasty, quick meal with succulent chicken.
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 1/2 tbs unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 small chicken breasts, skinless
- 5 cups white onion, sliced - or about 3 medium onions
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Sel Magique Classic Blend
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (sauvignon blanc, or any white wine that's not sweet)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 8 oz gruyere cheese
- preheat oven to broil
- Heat a large skillet with high sides to a medium heat. Season chicken breasts with a pinch of Magique and a little bit of pepper on both sides. Once the skillet is hot, add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and olive oil. Swirl to coat the pan. Sear chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and on to a platter or plate. Cover with foil.
- Add remaining two tablespoons of butter to the skillet. Once the butter melts, add the onions. Stir to coat the onions. Add 1/2 tsp Magique and sugar. Stir again. Turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to slowly caramelize the onions. Stir every few minutes. After about 15 minutes, the onions should be golden brown and caramelized. Don't rush this part - slow and steady is the best technique to get your onions soft and tasty.
- Stir in the cognac and white wine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the alcohol is cooked off and slightly reduced. Stir in flour. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in beef broth. Add thyme. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until slightly thicked. Add chicken back to the skillet and nestle in the sauce. Cook for another 2-3 mintues until the chicken is almost all the way cooked through.
- Evenly divide the cheese between the four chicken breasts. Place in the oven on the middle rack. Broil untilt the cheese is melted, brown and crisp.
- Garnish with sprigs of thyme, serve and enjoy!