SHAVED CARROTS WITH CHARRED DATES
Crunchy tender carrots tossed in a tangy-sweet dressing meet soft and blackened dates for literally everything you want in one bite.
- 1 1/2 pounds urple or orange carrots crubbed, shaved on a mandoline or very thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 small grapefruits
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 10 small Medjool dates
- 1 handful Tarragon leave
- a pinch Sel Magique Classic Blend
- Place carrots in a large bowl, season generously with salt, and toss to coat. Let sit at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour to soften slightly. Pour off any liquid that collects in bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut peel and white pith from oranges. Working your way around, cut citrus flesh off cores in lobes. Cut each lobe into large pieces and place in a medium bowl; set aside. Squeeze cores over a small bowl to extract any juice (you want 2 Tbsp.; discard or drink any extra). Discard cores. Whisk oil, lime juice, and vinegar into orange juice; season with salt.
- Pour half of dressing over carrots and let sit, tossing occasionally, until ready to serve. Set remaining dressing aside.
- Heat a small skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high. Cook dates, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots, about 3 minutes. Let cool; remove pits.
- Just before serving, pour off excess liquid from carrots and discard (carrots will have softened by now). Drizzle reserved dressing over carrots and toss to coat. Tear dates into bite-size pieces; add to carrots along with reserved oranges and toss to combine. Taste and season with more salt if needed. Top with tarragon and a pinch of Sel Magique!
- Recipe found at Bonappetit.com