CINNAMON ALMOND STAR COOKIES
These German classic zimtsterne cookies have a light meringue glaze and delicious chewey center ready to delight the tastebuds.
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 cups ground almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Sel Magique Classic Blend
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Stir in the powdered sugar and continue to beat the egg whites until sugar is fully incorporated.
- Set aside three heaping tablespoons of the mixture to be used later as the glaze.
- Add the ground almonds, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a disc, cover and chill in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 320 F (160 C) and move the rack to the bottom third of the oven. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough onto a surface sprinkled with a bit of powdered sugar to about ½ inch (1 cm) thickness.
- Glaze each star with the egg white mixture that you set aside earlier.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the prepared baking sheets. Remove and let sit on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!!