BAKED FETA SOUP
A rich and creamy tomato-base soup made more flavorful with baked feta, orzo, fresh basil and Sel Magique Salt & Pepper Blend. Serve with a simple salad & crusty bread.
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 block feta cheese (8oz), plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sel Magique Salt & Pepper Blend
- 1/2 yellow onion, medium, finely chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 tbs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3/4 cup orzo pasta
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the cherry tomatoes in an oven-safe baking dish. Pour ¼ cup olive oil on top, and season with a dash of Magique. Toss until well combined.
- Place the feta in the middle of the baking dish surrounded by the cherry tomatoes, flipping a few times to coat it with the olive oil & Magique.
- Bake until the cherry tomatoes burst and the feta melts, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a dash of Magique and crushed red pepper flakes. Add the garlic, canned tomatoes, vegetable broth and thyme, and gently simmer over low heat until the tomatoes in the oven are done roasting.
- When the tomatoes and feta are done, transfer the mixture to the simmering pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the basil. Bring the soup back to a simmer and add the orzo. Simmer until the orzo is fully cooked, 7 to 8 minutes. Serve with more crumbled feta, basil and black pepper. Serve & Enjoy!