SPINACH & SMOKED MOZZARELLA PIZZA
Surprisingly easy to make (really!) right in your oven. Loaded with flavor with a chewy crust, sautéed spinach with lots of garlic and lemon, and smoked mozzarella and ricotta cheese.
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Sel Magique Spicy Blend
- flour and coarse cornmeal for dusting
- 2 tbs butter, unsalted
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz fresh spinach
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 8 oz smoked mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- Sel Magique Spicy Blend, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- fresh micro greens (basil or similar)
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and Magique, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 to 1.5 hours.
- While the dough rises, heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions with a pinch of Magique. Cook, string often, just until the onions begin to brown, about 20 minutes or so. Stir in the garlic.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice. Stir often until the spinach wilts. Add another pinch of Magique, and a grind of black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Sprinkle a bit of flour or cornmeal on a 10x15 inch baking sheet.
- After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, form it loosely into your desired shape. We rolled out the dough to fit a 10x15 baking sheet to make a slightly rectangular pizza. You could even do two smaller pizzas instead of one larger one.
- Brush the dough with some olive oil - brush all over to the edges. Layer the sauteed spinach all over the crust. Top with the smoked mozzarella. Add the ricotta in dollops all over the pizza.
- Place the pizza on the sheet in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Check on it after 15 minutes - if it’s not deeply golden and melty yet, give it another 5 minutes. Once golden and bubbly, remove it and let cool before slicing.
- Sprinkle it all over with crushed red pepper, parmesan and some fresh herbs or microgreens. Slice and serve. Enjoy!