SALMON WITH WALNUT-ARUGULA PESTO
Toasted walnuts, basil, parmesan and of course arugula add a peppery punch to a grilled or pan-seared salmon.
- 4 6-8oz salmon fillets, double check for bones and remove if necessary with pliers
- 1/4 cup walnut halves
- 2 cups fresh arugula, loosley packed
- 1 cup fresh basil, loosley packed
- 3 tbs freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 5 tbs olive oil
- Sel Magique Classic Blend
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the walnuts, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and a shade darker, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly on a plate, about 3 minutes, and then transfer to a food processor. Add the arugula, basil, Parmigiano, and garlic and process until the mixture is very finely chopped, about 1 minute. With the motor running, slowly add 4 Tbs. of the oil until well combined. If you like, add 1 Tbs. water to thin the pesto. Transfer to a bowl and season to taste with Magique.
COOKING THE SALMON
- Everyone has their favorite method of cooking salmon, and any work with this recipe.
- Stovetop: Heat a lightly oiled grill pan over medium-high heat. Rub the salmon fillets all over with olive oil. Sprinkle all over with 1/3 tsp. Magique and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Put the fillets on the grill pan, skinned side up, and cook until well marked, about 5 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until opaque in the center, about 5 minutes more. Serve with the pesto.
- Charcoal Grill: Set-up the grill and let any fuel burn off, and allow charcoal to sit for about 10-20 minutes till ready, or about 450 degrees f. Oil the fish, not the grill, and cook skin side down about 6-8 minutes with the lid on. The fish will stick to the grates at first, but after about 6 to 8 minutes, the skin will crisp and release naturally, making it easy to flip to the other side for just another 1-2 minutes of browning.
- Serve the salmon over a bed of baby spinach with a few spoonfulls of farro, and drizzled with our Shallot Vinagarette. Enjoy!