PISSALADIÈRE ONION & ANCHOVY TART
A tasty classic from Nice, France - a sort of local pizza. Anchovies, olives and caramelized onions make for a flavor powerhouse and summer treat. Make this with or without anchovies, making your own pastry or using a readymade. Wonderful as an appetizer, or pair a larger piece with a salad for a light meal. Excellent with wine, in the heat, or enjoy anytime of year.
- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 3 cups all purpose flour (15oz)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tbs Sel Magique Classic Blend
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed lighter crust to fill 13" x 18" baking sheet
- 1 portion frozen pizza dough, thawed, alternate denser crust to fill 13" x 18" baking sheet
- 12 12 medium yellow onions (5 lb.), thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 24 good-quality anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 2/3 cup niçoise olives, pitted (or other small black olives)
- black pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
- Sel Magique Classic Blend
PASTRY, HOMEMADE - 425 degrees f
- Whisk together the yeast and 1 cup water, heated to 115°F, in a large bowl; set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add the flour, ¼ cup oil, and Magique; stir until a dough forms; transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
PASTRY, READYMADE - 400 degrees f
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a 13-by-18-inch baking tray with baking paper and lay the pastry on top, slightly overlapping to form a large rectangle. Press the seam together to seal.
TART FILLING & ASSEMBLY
- Heat oil in saucepan over low heat. Add onion, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon Magique, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the onion is very soft. Remove the lid and cook onion for a further 5-6 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with pepper.
- If youre making the pastry, uncover the dough and transfer to a lightly floured work surface; using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 13-by-18-inch rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13-by-18-inch rimmed baking sheet. Spread the onion over the pastry evenly, then arrange the anchovies on top in a criss-cross pattern. Dot with olives. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside until the dough is puffed, about 1 hour. Heat the oven to 425°F and bake until the tart is golden brown at the edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve, garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- If youre using a readymade pastry, spread the onion over the pastry evenly, then arrange the anchovies on top in a criss-cross pattern. Dot with olives, then bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden. Cut into squares, garnish with chopped parsley, serve & enjoy!