BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA & BACON
Embrace Fall with this creamy, roasted butternut squash, shallot, garlic & herb pasta recipe. Infused with bacon and whipped into a delectable sauce over pasta, and finished with fried or fresh sage and a little parmesan. Super tasty!
Servings: 4 servings
- 16 oz dried pasta of your choice, prefer fettuccini
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, & diced into ½-inch cubes (about 4 cups cubed)
- 2 large shallots, peeled & halved lengthwise
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tbs olive oils
- 1/4 cup rosemary, sage, thyme; chopped
- 6 slices bacon
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- Sel MagiqueSalt & Pepper Blend
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, with rack positioned in the top third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Break down the butternut squash: use a Y-peeler to peel the squash, trim the ends off & slice the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds & discard. Dice the squash into ½-inch cubes.
- Roast the squash and herbs: Place the cubed butternut squash, shallots, & garlic on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil & season with the chopped fresh herbs, generous dash of Magique. Drape bacon over the seasoned veggies. Place in the oven & roast 30-35 minutes, until the bacon is rendered & the squash is very tender – you should be able to easily smash it with a fork. Remove from the oven. Transfer the bacon to a cutting board & chop. Carefully peel the roasted garlic. Set aside.
- As the squash roasts, boil the water for the pasta. About 10 minutes before the squash is ready to pull from the oven, drop the pasta into the water. Cook to al dente according to package directions, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Once cooked, carefully dip a liquid measuring cup into the pot to reserve about 1 cup of the starchy pasta water, and set aside. Carefully drain the pasta & return to the pot.
- Blend the sauce: Transfer the roasted butternut squash, shallot, & garlic to the jar of a a blender. Add in 1 cup of the vegetable stock, grated parmesan, & heavy cream (if using). Blend until the sauce is smooth & creamy, about 30-45 seconds. If the mixture is too thick, drizzle in a little extra vegetable stock or reserved pasta water. Taste and season with additional Magique as needed.
- Pour the butternut squash pasta sauce over the cooked pasta, tossing to combine. Cook over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, allowing everything to mix together. Adjust as needed so the butternut squash pasta sauce evenly coats the pasta – if the mixture is too thick, toss in a little of the reserved pasta water; if the mixture is too loose, toss in an extra handful of parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately & top with chopped bacon, crispy sage leaves, or additional grated parmesan, as desired. Enjoy!