BAJA CALIFORNIA FISH TACOS
Baja fish tacos with a crispy panko cod recipe - inspired by the fantastic beachside tacos you'd get while surfing on the Pacific Mexican coastline.
Servings: 8 servings
Panko fried cod slices
- 1 lb cod fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko (japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 3 fresh eggs
- 1/2 tsp Sel Magique Classic Blend
- 1 quart vegetable oil (Wesson is hard to beat!)
Tortilla & Garnishes
- 10 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup cilantro, leafed
- 1 cup roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup red olion, chopped
- 4 limes, quartered
- Magique Guacamole https://www.selmagique.com/recipes/magique-guacamole/
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbs truff white truffle hot sauce
- Prepare the guacamole - we suggest our recipe, link above, place in bowl.
- Chop or shred the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, leaf the cilantro, and slice the limes and place in separate bowls.
- Prepare the spicy mayo by mixing mayo and truff hotsauce together. place in small bowl, garnish with cilantro leaf, cracked pepper, and jalapeño.
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and warm till desired tempature OR gently toast over gas range element by flipping bank-to-front over medium heat.
- pour the oil into a deep fryer or tall skillet and heat to 375 degrees f. You can tell the oil is ready when a tiny drop of water makes a poping sound. Of course BE CAREFUL with the hot oil.
- Rinse the cod undeer cool water and pat dry with paper towels. Slice the fish into 1/2" thick pieces - you'll later place 1-2 of these crispy fish pieces into each taco.
- Set aside two dinner plates and a medium bowl. Place flour on one plate, panko on another, and scramble the eggs in the bowl. Dip each piece of fish first in the flour, then in egg, then in panko. place the completed pieces on a baking sheet.
- Using tongs, place the fish into the oil and fry until a light golden brown. Dont overcook!
- Remove from oil, place onto paper towels, and sprinkle with Sel Magique.
- If needed, you can keep the freshly cooked fish warm in the oven @ 200 degrees f for about an hour as needed.
- Assemble the tacos with one tortilla, 1-2 pieces of fish, guac, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and a generous drizzle of the sauce, plus a dash of Magique and enjoy!