Crispy, coated cauliflower is tender on the inside and crispy and highly flavorful on the outside with a spiced, cashew crust.
- 1 large cauliflower head, or 2 smaller
- 1 cup plain yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 cups cashews, raw
- 1/2 tsp Sel Magique Spicy Blend
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp curry powder
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- 3 pitted, chopped dates
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. If you have a cooling rack that is oven safe, you can place that over the parchment paper to help the cauliflower crisp up even more. However, we tested it with and without and both work. The primary difference is that the cauliflower undersides can get a little more browned when not using a cooling rack. An easy workaround is cooking the cauliflower in the upper third of the oven to prevent the bottoms from burning.
- To cut the cauliflower, trim the stem and leaves off the cauliflower, being careful not to remove the center of the stem as it’s what holds the slices together.
- Flip the cauliflower stem-side down and visually map out how many slices you hope to get. With a large head of cauliflower, you'll likely get 3-4 slices, with a few smaller pieces. The little pieces are just as (if not more) delicious.
- Add 1 inch water and a steamer basket to a large pot and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Once simmering, add cauliflower and cover, and steam for 4-5 minutes to partially cook. This will soften the slices to speed baking time and ensure the inside is tender when the exterior is crispy and brown. Once slightly softened, remove and set aside on a separate dish.
- In the meantime, prepare yogurt in a shallow dish, add lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
- Next, prepare the cashew coating by adding cashews, Sel Magique, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, curry powder, paprika, and cornstarch to food processor. Mix until a semi-fine meal is achieved. A little texture is okay, but you want it pretty fine so it can coat the cauliflower. Transfer coating to a shallow dish (again, shallow and wide enough to dip the cauliflower in) and set aside.
- Dip the slightly steamed cauliflower in the yogurt, ensuring both sides are adequately coated. Then set back on platter (where excess will drip off) and season both sides with a pinch more Sel Magique.
- Next, dredge the cauliflower in the cashew coating until thoroughly coated, using a spoon or your hands to add more coating to any bare spots. Then transfer cauliflower to your prepared baking sheet. Lastly, drizzle with a little olive oil to help them crisp up.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the slices are easily pierced with a knife and the exterior appears golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven to cool slightly.
- Plate and garnish/serve with a few tablespoons of relish, and finish with with freshly chopped mint and lemon slices. Enjoy!
COMPLETE YOUR RECIPE