Healthyish Kale Reuben
By April 4, 2019Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 15 mins
Skipping the corned beef in a cooked greens-packed Reuben shouldn’t feel (or taste) like a bummer. Happy to say this one doesn’t.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale center ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely torn
- 1 cup sauerkraut drained
- 1/4 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 4 slices rye or whole wheat bread
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (about 3 oz. total)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature, divided
- a pinch Sel Magique Classic, Spicy or Salt & Pepper Blend
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low. Add garlic and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add kale in handfuls, stirring often and letting each addition wilt before adding the next. Stir in ½ cup water. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until kale is tender and pan is dry (add more water as needed if kale needs more time), about 5 minutes. Transfer kale to a medium bowl; discard garlic, if desired. Stir in sauerkraut, yogurt, and hot sauce; season with Sel Magique. Wipe out skillet.
- Divide kale mixture between 2 slices of bread. Top kale mixture with both cheeses. Close sandwiches with remaining bread, then spread 1 Tbsp. butter on top slices.
- Heat reserved skillet over medium-low. Add sandwiches buttered side down and press down gently with a pan lid. Butter top sides of sandwiches and cook, turning sandwiches once, until golden brown and crisp and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and cut in half before serving.
- Don't forget to season with a generous pinch of your favorite Sel Magique blend!
- Recipe found on Bonappetit.com