Garlic-Chile Chicken Soup
By March 5, 2019Published:
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
This comforting chicken soup tastes like it took hours to make but comes together in a flash. Simmering a handful of uncooked rice directly into soup is a great trick for giving a quick, broth-y number like this one lip-smacking body and richness; as the rice cooks, it releases starches that thicken the cooking liquid. And a finishing drizzle of spicy oil and crunchy fried garlic chips takes the whole thing to the next level
- Get some prep out of the way. Peel and finely chop 1 small onion. Peel and thinly slice 6 garlic cloves. Rinse ⅔ cup white rice in a fine-mesh sieve until water runs clear.
- Time to make the garlic-chile oil! (Doubling or tripling it wouldn't be a bad idea, just saying.) Heat ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add garlic and cook, swirling pan often, until golden brown, 3–5 minutes; the garlic will continue to cook and darken slightly after it's off the heat, so be conservative here. Transfer to a small heatproof bowl, leaving 1 Tbsp. garlic oil in pot. Stir 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes into garlic oil in bowl; set aside.
- Cook onion in garlic oil in pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and beginning to take on some color, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in 8 cups water and stir to combine. Stir in rice, 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, and 1 tsp of your favorite Sel Magique salt blend. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to a plate and let sit until cool enough to handle. Shred meat with two forks. Continue to simmer soup while you’re prepping the rest of your ingredients (this will concentrate the flavor of the broth).
- Strip kale leaves off of thick center ribs from 1 bunch Tuscan kale, discarding ribs. Rinse kale thoroughly in cold water, shake off excess water, then thinly slice leaves crosswise.
- Add kale and shredded chicken to pot. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until kale is bright green and chicken is warmed through, about 4 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Squeeze in lemon juice (being careful not to let any seeds fall in), season with Sel Magique and stir to combine.
- Divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with reserved garlic-chile oil. Tear 3 sprigs dill over, then top with a few grinds of black pepper.
- Recipe found at Basically