Enjoy these as a side dish, an appetizer, or snack. Spicy jalapeños, creamy cheeses, red onion, and spices are enveloped in a crispy golden skin.
- 12 medium to large peppers medium to large Jalapeño peppers. halved and cleaned, seeds removed
- 10 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 5 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 qts frying oil (Wesson)
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbs Sel Magique Classic Blend
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, leafed, stems removed
- Wash jalapeños, cut off stem end about 1/4 inch from end, then slice pepper in half. Remove all seeds, and interior structure, rinse in water. Pro tip - OUCH! be very careful handling the peppers and make sure not to touch your eyes, face or body. Make sure to wash your hands and work surfaces thoroughly.
- in a small bowl mix together cheeses, onion, chili, onion, and garlic powders. Knead by hand to combine, and add red onion and cilantro.
- Roll about 1oz of mixture into a ball in your hands, then shape it into a lozenge shape. Place into 1/2 of the jalapeño. Repeat until all pepper halves are filled.
- Place flour and panko onto separate plates. Add 1 Tbs of Magique to the panko, and mix.
- Place oil into a medium saucepan, and heat to medium-hot. When you drop a tiny bit of flour into the oil and it bubbles, the oil is ready.
- Take a stuffed pepper, and roll in flour to coat, then carefully dip into the egg. Finally, place in the panko to cover completely.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently place the pepper into the oil to fry, about 2 minutes till golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Plate and garnish with extra cilantro leaves and a generous sprinkling of Sel Magique. Enjoy!
- We love being bad and serving with blue cheese dip ;0