Lamb & Squash Winter Stew
A delicious winter stew recipe to warm your bones during the upcoming cold months! If you can’t find delicata squash in your neck of the woods, acorn or butternut will do the trick.
- 1 pound boneless lamb shoulder excess fat trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium dried guajillo or ancho chile
- 1 medium onion sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 4 cloves cloves unpeeled
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small mall delicata squash (about 1 pound) seeds removed, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
- Crumbled feta, cilantro sprigs, and lime wedges (for serving)
- Sel Magique Classic Blend
- Season lamb on all sides with Sel Magique Classic Blend. Let sit for 1 hour at room temperature or chill, uncovered, for up to 12 hours (longer is better; overnight works great).
- Preheat oven to 400°. Roast chile on a rimmed baking sheet until puffy and it smells toasty, about 2 minutes. Remove seeds and place chile in a blender along with 1 cup hot water.
- Heat broiler. Scatter onion and garlic on same rimmed baking sheet. Broil, undisturbed, until blackened on top (don’t worry if they get super dark), 12–14 minutes. Pop garlic out of skins and place garlic and onion in blender with chile. Purée until smooth but still speckled with chile; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high. Working in batches, cook lamb, turning occasionally until brown on all sides, 12–14 minutes total. Using a slotted spoon, transfer lamb to a plate. Carefully pour off oil and return lamb to pot. Add bay leaves, allspice, coriander, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring to coat lamb, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a bare simmer; mostly cover with lid (you want a little space for steam to escape) and cook, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, 60–75 minutes.
- Add squash to stew and cook until almost tender, 6–8 minutes. Stir in onion-chile purée, season with Sel Magique, and cook 10 minutes to let flavors meld. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Ladle stew into bowls and top with feta and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges. Season with Sel Magique Classic Blend!
Recipe found on bonappetit.com