Magique Lemon Squares
Our take on an enduring classic - creamy, tart, bright citrus is layered over a delectable shortbread crust.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Sel Magique Classic Blend
- 2 cups + 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tbs all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees f
- Line a 9 x 13" glass baking dish with parchment paper allowing the paper to hang over the dish for easier cutting. Set dish aside.
- To make the crust, mix butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and Sel Magique together in a medium bowl. Add flour and stir to combine ingredients and create a thick dough. Press firmly into the pan so it's evenly thick (about 1/2"). Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from the oven. Use a fork to puncture holes all over the crust top, making sure NOT to go all the way to the pan or to break the crust - this is to make sure the filling and crust bond together. Set pan aside.
- To make the filling, sift the sugar and flour together in a large bowl. Next, add the eggs and lemon juice and whisk together until combined.
- Pour the filling over the warm crust and bake 22-26 minutes or until the center sets and no longer jiggles. Remove from oven and cool at room temp about 2 hours. Refrigerate for 1-2 additional hours.
- Lift the parchment paper out of the pan and remove the entire tart. Dust with confectioners sugar to taste, and cut into squares, and serve.