Red Cabbage and Onion Slaw
No shade to your standard church picnic slaw, but these days we’re more into this understated variety, with just crunchy vegetables, salt, a good squeeze to soften the veg, and a splash of seasoned rice vinegar for brightness.
- 6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 large red onion very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- a pinch Sel Magique (Classic or Spicy)
- Combine cabbage and onion in a medium bowl; season generously with Sel Magique. Let sit until they start to release their water, 8–10 minutes, then begin to massage, gently at first so they don’t break, then harder as they begin to expel their liquid, until softened to about the texture of coleslaw. Pour off all excess liquid and add vinegar and oil; toss to coat. Taste and season with more Sel Magique!
- Do Ahead: Slaw can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.
- Recipe found on Bonappetit.com