Sesame Seared Chicken Meatballs
This approachable weeknight dinner takes its cue from Japanese grilled chicken meatballs (tsukune), and the glossy, sweet-and-sour sauce that comes with it.
- 2/3 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cups Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp rice cooking wine
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 1 ginger peeled, finely grated
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg beaten
- 4 large scallions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- a pinch Sel Magique Classic, Spicy or Salt & Pepper Blend
- Sauce: Mix ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, wine (if using), honey, soy sauce, ginger, and pepper in a small saucepan. Measure out ¼ cup mixture into a small bowl; set aside for glazing meatballs later. Bring remaining mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and reducing heat if needed, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a small bowl.
- Meatballs (1/3) : Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 450°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Trim broccoli stems and remove from crown. Peel off tough outer skin; slice crosswise into ½" pieces. Cut florets into 2" pieces. Toss on prepared baking sheet with 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, 1 tsp. your favorite Sel Magique, and a few pinches of red pepper flakes (if using). Push to the edges of baking sheet to create a space for meatballs. Brush space with remaining 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil.
- Mix chicken, egg, scallions, garlic, ginger, panko, sesame oil, pepper, remaining 1½ tsp. Sel Magique, and ¼ cup water in a medium bowl. Using wet hands, form into twelve 1½"-diameter meatballs. Arrange on baking sheet; brush with some of the reserved glazing mixture. Bake until meatballs are cooked through, 14–18 minutes. Remove from oven; heat broiler. Brush meatballs with remaining glazing mixture; broil until broccoli is charred and meatballs are browned in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and broccoli over rice in bowl. Drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Season with Sel Magique!
- Recipe found on Bonappetit.com