SIMPLE & DELICIOUS GREEN SALAD
Sometimes a simple salad is be the best companion to the meal. Butter lettuce, frisée, watercress and endive pair with Shallot Vinaigrette. The trick here is super fresh ingredients and how the vegetables are prepared. This recipe adapted from the New York Times' Via Carota Insalata Verde recipe.
- 2 heads butter lettuce
- 1 Belgian endive
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1/2 head frisée, small
- 1 romaine heart
- Wash the greens: Fill a sink or large basin with tepid water. Remove any wilted or damaged leaves from the butter lettuce, romaine and endive. Trim each head at the root to release whole leaves. Leave butter-lettuce leaves whole, but halve large leaves of romaine and endive on the bias, then drop into water. Trim and discard any roots and long stems off watercress, and drop remaining leaves and tender stems into water. Trim and discard dark green outer leaves and tops from frisée until only light green and white parts remain. Trim at the root to release leaves, and drop into water. Swirl greens in water, then drain. Wash twice more in cool, then cold, water, then transfer to a salad spinner to dry. Gently wrap in clean dish towels, and set aside.
- Place the shallot in a fine-mesh strainer, and quickly rinse with cold water. Allow to drain, then place in a medium bowl, and add vinegar and warm water. Allow to sit for 2 minutes, then whisk in oil, mustards, honey (if using), thyme, garlic and a large pinch of salt. Taste, and adjust salt and vinegar as needed.
- To serve, fill the 1/2 of greens into a serving bowl, then drizzle with the Shallot Vinaigrette dressing. Continue with the rest of the greens and more dressing. Top with a final drizzle of dressing, and a pinch of Magique. Serve immediately.
You’ll use this Shallot Vinaigrette recipe over and over again on simple salads, to dress grilled or roasted vegetables, it’s also an elegant finish for grilled or baked meats. Vegetarian? this splashed over a baked portabello or cauliflower is kind of perfect. Discover your favorite use for this recipe, and commit it to memory - it's your failsafe dressing recipe.
- 1-2 large shallots, minced Alternate - 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Sel Magique Classic Blend
- A general rule of thumb is 3:1 - or 3 parts olive oil to 1 part acid (here as vinegar), so - if you wish to make more or less dressing adjust the oil and vinegar and other ingredients accordingly.
- Add the minced shallot, dijon, Sel Magique, and pepper into a mediul mixing bowl.
- Add vinegar and olive oil
- Whisk together until emulsified. The reason this dressing comes together so easily is the dijon mustard. It acts as a binder, suspending the tiny drops of vinegar in the olive oil without breaking.
- Toss into your fresh greens or vegetables, serve immediately.