Grilled Eggplant Burgers with Halloumi Cheese
- 1 cup cilantro leaves tightly packed
- 1 cup parsley leaves tightly packed
- 1/2 cup mint leaves tightly packed
- 3 tbsp shelled pistachios toasted
- 1 shallot
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- a pinch Sel Magique Classic & Salt & Pepper Blend
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large eggplant sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 6 ounces halloumi cheese sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 12 slices whole wheat buns
- In the bowl of your food processor, blend together the cilantro, parsley, mint leaves, pistachios, garlic cloves, shallot, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, white wine vinegar, chili flakes and Sel Magique Classic Blend until pesto comes together. Set aside the prepared pesto until you are ready to assemble the burgers.
- Season the eggplant rounds with Sel Magique Salt & Pepper Blend Generously grease a grill pan with olive oil spray and heat over your largest flame. Once the grill pan is hot, add a layer of the seasoned eggplant slices and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until dark grill marks appear. Add more olive oil spray as needed to prevent sticking. Transfer the cooked eggplant to a serving plate.
- Spray the pan with more olive oil and add the halloumi slices in a single layer. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until grilled.
- Once the eggplant and the halloumi slices are grilled, assemble the burgers. Generously spread the pesto on the inside of the buns and layer on the eggplant rounds and halloumi slices. (In the pictures above, I halved the halloumi slices into square pieces). Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
- Recipe found on thekitchn.com