MEXICAN CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
Spicy, savory cauliflower stars in this delicious and easy to prepare dish that's ready in about 30 minutes, made better with Sel Magique. Use vegan mozzarella to make this dish dairy free!
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, bite size
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper diced, color of your choice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz meatless crumbles, frozen These are a kind of textured vegetable protein, available frozen from various brands; you can also use chopped seitan, tempeh, or chopped cap mushrooms.
- 15 oz fire roasted tomatoes, don't drain
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 tsp Sel Magique Spicy Blend
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups cheddar, or jack cheese or substitute vegan mozzarella
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh jalapeños, seeds removed
- vegetable stock as needed
- fresh oregano for garnish
- Place an oven rack in the upper third of your oven. Turn on broiler.
- In a large cast iron or oven safe skillet, add oil and heat over medium. Add in onions and bell peppers and saute for 4-5 minutes or until softened, stirring often. Add garlic and stir together, cook for an additional minute.
- Add in crumbles and cauliflower and stir occasionally until crumbles and cauliflower are soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and seasonings: chili powder, cumin, oregano, Magique and smoked paprika. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Keep cooking for another 3 – 5 minutes until the cauliflower is tender and ready. Liquid should also be slightly reduced. >> Crumbles add flavor, bulk, and protein to the dish, each brand is different. If the dish feels dry at this point, add 2-4 tbs of vegetable stock while cooking.
- Remove the pan from heat and add a layer of cheese on top, add jalapeños.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and browned in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully so not to burn. Remove from oven, garnish with a little fresh oregano, and serve. Enjoy!