SESAME GARLIC TOFU
Rediscover tofu with this crispy, tender, and suprisingly easy pan-fry recipe that's great on its own, or pared with rice or steamed vegetables. Vegetarian.
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu only use extra firm
- 2 tbs cornstarch substitute arrowroot power if desired
- 1/2 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp chili paste we like Sambal Oelek brand
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs cornstarch substitute arrowroot power if desired
- Sel Magique Salt & Pepper Blend
GARNISH - YOUR CHOICE
- cilantro, leafed
- scallions, sliced
- sesame seeds
- The trick to this dish is to dry your tofu by pressing it onto paper towels, then coating it with cornstarch before cooking. Without this, you wont get a crispy finish. Also, the shape of the tofu is up to you - you can do largish slices like in the photos, or cube it for a crispier dish.
- Place two paper towels on a plate then place the entire block of tofu (drained from its packaging liquid) onto the plate. Place two more paper towels on top of the tofu then put a heavy item on top, but not as to crush the tofu (a cast iron skillet works great) Leave for 30 minutes and halfway through, change out the paper towels.
- Once the tofu has drained, slice in half then into cubes (if desired) and place into a large bowl. Sprinkle cornstarch on top and gently toss with your hands to ensure all tofu pieces are covered.
- In a large skillet, add sesame oil and vegetable oil then bring up to medium-high heat. We include both oils to reduce smoking.
- Once oil is heated up, add the tofu to the skillet and let brown on all sides. DOnt move it around, it needs to sit or it won't brown.
- In the meantime, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce in a medium bowl.
- Once the tofu has browned and crisped up on all sides, add the sauce to the skillet and it should start to thicken immediately. Toss the tofu around to coat then remove from heat.
- Add sesame seeds and cilantro or scalions as preferred. Add a dash of Sel Magique Salt and Pepper Blend, serve and enjoy!