SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH SAVORY CROUTONS
Homemade wins here with a seasonal or anytime favorite made better with savory herbed croutons. Make it with ham, or vegetarian too! Love truffles? Substitute our Black Truffle Salt for a truly elevated twist on a timeless favorite.
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth, unsalted vegetarian alternate: 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water omit if making vegetarian
- 1 bag dried split peans (16oz), picked over & rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried
- Sel Magique Salt & Pepper Blend
- 1 1/2 lb meaty ham bone or shanks
- 1 cup carrots, chopped or sliced
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- 5 strips bacon, cooked crispy for garnish of course exclude for vegetarian option!
- 1/2 Baguette or equivalent of alternate bread of choice
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- Sel Magique Classic Blend
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in chicken broth and water. Add split peas, bay leaves and thyme. Season lightly with Magique to taste - use less! Remember the ham will add saltiness later. If you're making vegetarian, add all the veg broth now.
- Add ham bone into soup mixture. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to low. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally until peas and ham are tender, about 60 - 80 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, cook the bacon in a separate skillet, remove when crispy, and place on paper towel to remove grease.
- This is also a good time to make your croutons. - heat oven to 350 degrees f, and cut the baguette lengthwise, place on baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine butter & garlic powder, mix well. Spread the butter mixture generously onto the bread, then cut the bread into 1" x 1" cubes. Sprinkle generously with Magique, and bake until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove ham from soup, let rest 10 minutes then shred or dice meat portion into pieces, discard bone, and cover (don't add to soup yet)
- Add carrots to soup, cover and continue to simmer, about 30 minutes
- Stir ham into the soup, season with Magique if desired, and serve warm. Garnish with bacon and croutons, and chopped parsley. Enjoy!